Liberty and Death for All


Where Does the Concept of a “Grim Reaper” Come From? | Britannica

My Observation:

Admit it! You are probably one of those people that steer away from any concepts of death and grim. You may have unfathomably looked towards the 'gothic' couple walking down the street, dressed in nothing but black. Or, you probably can not tolerate the sound of loud drums and screeching guitars coming together to create a pandemonium (also known as rock music). The truth is, during this pandemic, we as people who do not indulge in that culture can learn a lot from the 'goths' or the rock music lovers. When I say 'learn,' I do not necessarily mean switching your wardrobe from colorfulness to black, or withstanding the sound of Tool (who I personally enjoy) or A System of a Down. What I mean is to deviate from the societal fear of death.

Hear me out...

While reading Simon Critchley's "To Philosophize is to Learn How to Die", I thought about my initial thoughts of Covid-19. At first, when the virus outbreak originally happened, I did not take it seriously. Yes, I admit that I do not keep up with universal news or social media, so I was more confused than concerned. Actually, I know of people who have survived and unfortunately passed away from the virus. Even with the constant fear of the virus all around me, I feel as if I am not taking the virus as serious as many people around me. However, I do proceed with caution and maintain a successful hygiene routine.
Mild Cases of COVID-19 May Have Helped Power the Current Pandemic — Here's  Why | Discover Magazine

Critchley started off the article with the phrase, "Facing death can be a key to our liberation and survival." I thought this was a strong statement, which is it but is he somewhat forcing people to accept death? Usually, death is not the first resort that people would rather go towards, but why should it be? Afterall, people tend to associate death with discontinuity (We'll save that conversation for another day). However, death should be perceived as a guest.

Think about it...

When we invite a special guest over to our house, we make sure that the chores are done and our house is very comforting and hospitable. We can use that as an analogy of welcoming death (the special guest) into our lives (the house). The only difference is, death is the type of guest that shows up to your door with or without an invite. So, it is up to you to make sure that the 'chores' are done and your 'house' is comfortable. By doing this, means that you are comfortable with yourself and your life. You are not a victim to the cycle of fear.

I am not saying...

That you should automatically become a nihilist, which I can't blame you if you do. I am saying that you should become a realist. Accept the fact that death is certain, and rather than letting the fear of death shape your life, let the acceptance of death shape your life. Start to enjoy everything that life has to offer, but also keep in mind that many people will still be immersed in this fear. So I urge you, during this pandemic, enjoy life by also being considerate of others around you who are actually at risk of Covid-19.

Prompts:

What does Critchley argue is the role of philosophy? How does this apply to the pandemic?

Although, the art of philosophy has been criticized for thousands of years for not being able to provide solutions to human problems, it is something that can help us withstand this pandemic. Critchley proposes this argument, by addressing the fact that overtime, through isolation, philosophers have carried on this tradition of thought and analyzation. He applies the role of philosophy to the pandemic by quoting Michel de Montaigne, “He who has learned how to die has unlearned how to be a slave.” He makes this connection to address society’s fear of death, especially during this pandemic. By welcoming death, we can survive this pandemic by basically keeping sane.

Do you agree with Critchley? Why or why not?

While reading this article, I found myself both agreeing and disagreeing with Critchley. Ultimately, I agree with Critchley because personally, I am not immersed in fear over this virus. Although, the lack of fear is not necessarily what Critchley is referring to, but I believe that it contributes to the fact that I am not anxious or scarred. Yes, this pandemic has put a stop to a lot of things, but I am mentally and emotionally sane at the moment. Also, as I get older and indulge in different subcultures and genres, I am starting to see death through a different perspective. I am starting to realize that I cannot escape death, and no one is exempt from it. So, I have to make the best out of my life and circumstances. However, because I have this perception, I am still considerate of everyone around me.

 How does Critchley characterize anxiety? What makes it different from fear?


People typically integrate fear and anxiety together. However, Critchley characterize anxiety as something that does not have an object. Meaning that anxiety is a feeling or emotion, in which our existence in the world as a ‘whole,’ causes us to be anxious because there is no control of the outcome. In contrast, fear has an object such as ghosts, insects, holes, etc. Critchley states that the majority of us are feeling anxiety rather than fear during this time. We are experiencing anxiety because the virus has embedded itself into our reality, and at the moment there is little to no control over this pandemic.


Resources:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/opinion/covid-philosophy-anxiety-death.html
https://www.discovermagazine.com/health/mild-cases-of-covid-19-may-have-helped-power-the-current-pandemic-heres-why
https://www.britannica.com/story/where-does-the-concept-of-a-grim-reaper-come-from

Comments

  1. Hi Terri,

    I really, really enjoyed this blog post, very well done. I agree with your claims about feeling fearful of the virus and the ability of humans to disregard and downplay it. In reality, what more can we do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrew,

      Thank you! At this moment in time I am not sure about the possible solutions that we should take. I think the best thing that we can do, is to remain emotionally, mentally, and physically stable. It is hard because this virus has an impact on every aspect of our lives, but it is an opportunity to reflect, or maybe discover something new about ourselves.

      Delete
  2. Hello Terri,
    I love the way you structured your blog so much, its very neat and I really enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment